April 12, 2010

Discussion of 'The Proposition' has Begun!


Note: This is a Guest posting by our much respected contributor 'OLDMAN'!
No intention of writing a full on review of The Proposition here. Just hoping to kick off some discussion. First off, this is an excellent film, easily the best to come out of Australia in a long long time. Performances are uniformly excellent with special mention to be sure for Ray WInstone who plays Captain Stanley, and Guy Pearce and Danny Huston who portray two of the three Burns brothers, desperadoes of the worst sort, given to raping and slaughtering pregnant women and children just for the fun of it. Charlie (Guy Pearce) has developed a bit of a conscious along the way, something Stanley hopes to take advantage of with his "proposition," but Arthur (played brilliantly by Danny Huston) is a psychopath beyond the reach of God or man. Huston underplays Arthur as a laid back poetry spouting character obsessed with the importance of family. Don't know if this was his idea or the director, Hillcoat's, but given Huston's lineage - the son of John and grandson of Walter - it wouldn't surprise me to learn it was his. In any case, it works, and makes the violence and psychotic rage that much more powerful when it comes. John Hurt also appears in a fairly small - but scene stealing - role as bounty hunter Jellon Lamb. Honestly, the film would be worth watching just for his few moments on screen. And Emily Watson, who plays Captain Stanley's wife, is also excellent as usual. The real star in my opinion, however, is Nick Cave - yes that Nick Cave - who does not appear on screen, but both wrote the original screenplay and collaborated on the soundtrack. If you know his music - especially his pre-"Bad Seeds" "Birthday Party" tunes the darkness of The Proposition certainly won't come as any surprise. But there's so much more here. The photography is magnificent, showing a pioneer Australia we've never seen before, the soundtrack haunting, and the script is as near to perfect as these things get. While this is a film I could definitely go on and on about - and you know I can - I really don't want to do that here, just want all of you to watch this movie and put in your two cents.

6 comments:

Sam-E said...

This movie was a find, Lee, thank you for bringing it to my attention. How could this not have been up for every Oscar/Globe/ etc.in 05. Just goes to show you that those awards have nothing to do with what is really the best in any way. Imagine George Clooney (who is a fine actor and certainly always manages to get the job done) in UP IN THE AIR nominated vs Ray WInstone in this? Yet it would never happen.
OK, enough of my moaning and groaning session. This was just the best, as OLDMAN says, in just about every way possible right down to the magnificent visuals of the Australian outback. Has it ever been filmed so creatively? Talk about cinematography at its finest. I have to say, I am almost overwhelmed by how poweful it was. And I took your advice Lee and didn't research it at all before watching. Good call on that. So what's up next?

filmluver said...

What a pleasure to see a dialogue beginning on this great movie. It has been a long time since I contributed (though I have been watching!)and I hope to get back in the swing of things. Whatever is happening in your life , Lee, that is keeping you from having the time to list your 'Just Watched' films, I am hoping that this does not mean you are not still watching them. I do miss the list, however, as it is so helpful in my choosing what to order from Netflix. Wishing you well whatever may be going on and may it be something positive that is keeping you busy. Out photographing perhaps? I would love to see some more of your pictures when you get a chance, they are always surprising and unusual.

David said...

Thank you, OldMan, for your contribution. I want to bring up Stanlye's self-imposed mission: "This land will be tamed."

The idea of this man trying to tame that wildness (not wilderness) is incomprehensible to me. It seemed there were about three guys in the whole movie who weren't just a step away from rape and pillage. The white population of Austrailia (as I understand) was mostly prisoners, Irish rebels, men imbibed with the notion of Manifest Destiny, (read "abusers of the natives"), fortune-seeking scoundrels (some with power), and a goodly portion of men running away from their families. I suppose there were some honest men with good intentions, such as Stanley, but how coud they ever hope to tame the land?

The fact that they eventually did would make for a fantistic discussion.

I grew up with the notion that John Wayne had tamed the American west, but I never asked how that actually happened. And now I know that I don't know...

lee paris said...

Hi guys! Thanks to Oldman for saving the day and writing such a great conversation starter. Sam-E, glad you liked it as much as we did and also thanks for joining in. I agree with you on the awards bulls##t, I am always stunned by the comparitive high quality of the acting/scripts you name it, in sooooo many of these o'ff the beaten path' gems we discover than almost ANY of the big award winners. Of course there are a few rare exceptions, I myself happened to like Brokeback Mountain much to my surprise ...ok, I'll stop moaning too. and nice to see/read you again filmluver, been wondering where everybody went? Nope, hasn't been about photography since my big shows in december, after that it was major health isues with both myself and my mom ('Silver'). But I'm working my way back and what will be will be, just a lot of wait and see for a while. Yes, I still watch LOTS of movies, it is my saving grace during the tough times and added joy in the good ones. And you? Any suggestions? Would love to hear from all of the old gang...hopefully you are still out there watching and checking in now and again even if not writing. I promise that someday I will do a HUGE million and one page Lee Just Watched catch up list....should only take about 48 hours if I don't sleep and my fingers can keep typing but I am determined.....
good stuff David, always keeping me on my toes. (and warming them as well....)
Happy summer everyone.

Suzanne said...

Oh my goodness Lee! I just randomly stumbled across your blog--LOVE IT! Looking forward to discovering and discussing many movies to come. Have you watched 'Odishun', 'Raise the Red Lantern' or 'May' yet?

lee paris said...

Hey Suzanne, glad you stopped by and took the time to comment.
Quick update here for everyone who has been reading and commenting since April. Due to illness my contributions have had to be postponed. I'm hoping to be back on board within the year but till then I would really appreciate submissions from "Guest Hosts" , such as the one done by Oldman for this film.
Suzanne , perhaps you would like to write about one of the films you mentioned?
Of the 3 movies you listed I have only seen Raise The Red Lantern- it was a MAJOR influence on my taste. After that I couldn't get enough of the genre and still can't so I thank you for the suggestions and will Netflix the other 2 immediately.
Also to everyone, due to a truly horrific level of SPAM being posted to this blog I had to shut it to open conversations some time back and set it to where I now 'moderate' each comment.
All comments come to me first so this is a good way for anyone to submit a proposal for being the "Guest Host (post!)"!

Be well, and thanks for all of your continued reading and watching. Lee

Popular Discussions

About Lee Paris